Search This Blog

Friday, April 16, 2010

Tech Ramblings

It has been a long time since I have posted on my blog, Working as a Java Developer I get to play with and learn interesting tools/technologies and I wanted to share them with you.

This post is skewed towards version control, continuous integration and related areas. These areas interest me and I think the right choices/tools here help teams be more productive.

Here is the list

1) JSONP (JSON with Padding) : I like JSONP,the idea is to wrap the JSON response with a callback function.

Reference: JSON Wikipedia, Ajaxian,Oreily

At Citysearch we have been involved in building API's/ webservices to support Citygird.
Recently I worked with the consumer team to consume a citysearch webservice.
Support for JSONP from the webservice allowed us to get our work done in a quick and easy
manner. I do see the security concerns with JSONP, I think JSONP can also be used as a nice way for inter company web services to operate.


2) Hudson and CI : I worked on continous integration a long time ago (couple of years)
Recently I got an opportunity to set up CI for my team and we choose hudson :)
Hudson is super simple, intutive to use and easy to deploy. I like the maven2 support within hudson, the configuration for svn polling and periodic runs are also easy to use,
if you are looking for an easy to use, lightweight approach for CI I recommend hudson.

3) Svnrepo for SVN: Working at Nurall we decided to create a new SVN repository to
host the Java version of our site, we decided to use sourcerepo and their services have been
useful to help us get going on Nurall. We would need to play with this further to decide if we are going to use them for the long run, I do suggest them as an alternative to get you started quickly.

Few other technologies/tools I want to learn about, would love to hear your thoughts and feedback

GitHub and Git
Gerrit